Search RHT!

Today In Rock History

April 25th . . . 1918 - Legendary jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald is born in Newport News, VA . . . 1923 - Blues guitarist Albert King is born . . . 1933 - Jerry Leiber is born in Baltimore. With Mike Stoller, he’s written witty rock hits like “Yakety Yak” and “Jailhouse Rock” . . . 1945 - Bjorn Ulvaeus of Abba is born in Gothenburg, Sweden . . . 1945 - Stu Cook (Creedence Clearwater Revival) is born this day . . . 1950 - Steve Ferrone, drummer with the Average White Band and Eric Clapton, is born in Brighton, England . . . 1956 - Elvis Presley reaches top of US chart with Heartbreak Hotel, his first No. 1 . . . 1961 - Elvis Presley makes his last stage appearance for nearly eight years at Bloch Arena in Hawaii . . . 1964 - The Beatles have an amazing 14 singles on the American chart . . . 1967 - The Beatles perform “All You Need Is Love” during a global satellite broadcast . . . 1974 - Jim Morrison’s widow, Pam, dies in Hollywood at the age of 27. Police suspect heroin use may have played a part in her death . . . 1977 - Elvis Presley makes his last-known recordings during a live concert at the Saginaw (Mich.) Civic Center . . . 1981 - Wings break up after Denny Laine leaves the band. Paul McCartney says he will carry on as a solo artist . . . 1987 - Crowded House had their biggest U.S. hit when “Don’t Dream It’s Over” peaked at #2; U2 replace Beastie Boys at top of US LP chart with The Joshua Tree . . . 1990 - The Fender Stratocaster on which Jimi Hendrix played “The Star-Spangled Banner” at Woodstock sells at a London auction for $295,000 . . . 1994 - The Eagles played the first of two shows where they recorded their ‘Hell Freezes Over’ album . . . 1994 - A judge sentences Beastie Boy Adam Horowitz to 200 hours’ community service after he beats up a TV cameraman during River Phoenix’s funeral . . . 1994 - A judge determines that Michael Bolton’s “Love Is a Wonderful Thing” sounds a little too similar to the Isley Brothers’ “Love Is a Wonderful Thing.” Ya think? . . . 1997 - Warren Haynes and Allen Woody quit the Allman Brothers Band to tend to their careers as Gov’t Mule . . . 1999 - Funk star Roger Troutman, 47, dies in a hospital in Dayton, Ohio, after being shot several times . . . 2000 - Eric Clapton is reunited on a TV stage in London with his former Derek & the Dominos keyboard player Bobby Whitlock, for their first performance together in 29 years . . . 2002 - Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, the effervescent, sometimes volatile rapping member of the Grammy-winning R&B trio TLC, is killed in a car crash in Honduras . . . 2003 - The late jazz great Nina Simone is laid to rest in Carry-Le-Rouet, France . . . 2004 - Piano man Billy Joel drives his car into a house in Long Island. Nobody is seriously injured. It’s his third car crash in two years . . . 2007 - American singer Bobby “Boris” Pickett died of leukemia at the age of 69. He scored the Halloween anthem ‘The Monster Mash’ in 1962 . . .

Just in time for the Beavis & Butthead revival!! Woo-hoo!

A sneak peek at My Morning Jacket's new album....

I think I got a contact buzz just watching this....

RHT Pic 'o' the Week

RHT Pic 'o' the Week
Prosecution evidence leaked from the Barry Bonds trial

Randon Non-Rock Notes. Rock Notes, get it? I'm awesome.

Car wrecks! Woohoo!

Here's a baby rabbit eating a flower.

Best commercial on TV right now. You dang woodchucks!!

Quite simply, the greatest redneck car ramp jump ever. Period.

Slippery slide accidents are always money, aren't they?

Let's revisit this famous soccer bitch.

Yo. My man. Seriously, this is not the best way to get free ice cream.

Good boy.

I want this lamb! Oh, and this lamb!

Hey lady, watch where you're goin'.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Best American Punk Rock Band Ever Is Playing Dead.


Sleater-Kinney broke up just about 2 years ago, and I remember where I was when I heard the news. This was like my Beatles break up moment. Obviously, I'm not comparing the two bands, but...maybe to their respective genre', S-K were the Beatles. I don't have many "I remember the first time I heard (insert artist)" moments. I remember when I first heard The Chronic. My brother bought the cassette tape home when I was 9, and I promptly stole it the next morning and skipped school to listen to it (Proof that rap music is evil, and makes you do bad things.)...I, like everyone else in my generation, remembers the first time I heard Nirvana. Some girl who I was trying way hard to impress in middle school put on "Come As You Are" in her basement after school one afternoon. My attempts to make out ceased (although, you will all be pleased to know, I did succeed much later in life. Score one for me...in honor of Kurt, of course), and I listened to Nevermind for 3 hours straight.

And I remember when I first heard Sleater-Kinney. About 2000, when I was a senior in high school, my sister was leaving for Madison, Wisconsin. My sister had, and still has supreme taste in music. She's a snob for the sake of being a snob. So, she slipped me a CD and said "You HAVE to hear this"...so I took a long drive (of course when the price of gas was still reasonable...) and played the album, which was 1999's All Hands On The Bad One. I thought it was noise! just terrible! the screeching! the guitars! it's like a crappy version of Sonic Youth fronted by some kind of banshee!

But, it held my interest just long enough for me to pick up another album ('97's Call The Doctor), at which point I REALLY heard S-K for the first time. "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone" was pretty much everything I'd been looking for in a punk rock(ish) song since, well...forever. I didn't even know what the rest of that album sounded like for about a month, because I couldn't get past that song. After that, I was hooked. I got every S-K album that ever came out, and side projects (Quasi, Cadallaca, Heavens to Betsy) just to hear the wail of Corin Tuckers voice, or the growl of Carrie Brownstien's guitar.

**Bold Statement Alert** Not to take anything away from The Ramones, Black Flag, X, or any other band, but Sleater-Kinney is, to me, the greatest American punk rock band ever. In their purest form they weren't post-grunge, or riot grrrl, or any other phrase to try to seperate them from what they truly were: A really loud, aggressive punk rock band. They got their fair share of resentment from people, because it seemed like they were critically acclaimed just for the sake of critical acclaim, but I think they were just THAT good. And unlike the aforementioned bands (and countless other punk bands), they didn't let that scene define them. Therefore, the scene couldn't destroy them.

I guess what destroyed them eventually, after 12 years seemed to be what they tried to avoid for those 12 years. The fact that as women, they were different, and wanted different things. Corin wanted a family, to have kids, settle down, etc. And Janet just wanted to play loud music. Those two things just stopped seeming to go hand in hand.

My sister is the one who broke the news to me when they broke up. And I detected the sorrow in her voice. Her connection to them was deeper, because she felt like they spoke directly to her. When I got the news, I sat back and thought "Man, all of the bands I love break up..." (weeks later, as if proving this point further, Pretty Girls Make Graves also disbanded), and then I fought with the decision of whether or not I wanted to go see them on their farewell tour. I opted not too. Too much attached to those types of things. I was at a small, local concert recently, and a guy did a cover of "Modern Girl" (off of their final album, The Woods), and it impressed me most that he kept the gender of the song proper (instead of, like most people, changing "girl" to "guy" or some other ridiculous thing), because I think Sleater-Kinney fought hard to not only be equal and recognized in the eyes of their male counterparts, but also to speak to men as well. Punk rock is nothing if not all inclusive.

I was in the same room as Corin Tucker once. I didn't know it, I was in some coffee shop in Olympia, Washington with some friends, and she walked out while I was at the counter ordering. The girl behind the counter informed me of her presence, and I used every ounce of restraint in myself to not run after her. Sadly, her solo stuff is pretty much a joke. I could be saying that just because it's not S-K, and I have bitterness (I hated all of the solo Fugees albums at first after they, another group I loved, broke up), but I worry that I'll never have a moment again where I remember hearing a new band the same way I heard Nirvana, or Sleater-Kinney.

Finally, if you have no idea who Sleater-Kinney is....listen to them, and despite me probably over hyping them, I think you'll enjoy them.

5 comments:

  1. Sleater-Kinney - one of those bands I've read all kinds of great stuff about, but never really taken time out to really listen to. Not sure why, I've just never been led down that path I guess. I will take your recommendation, Hanif, & get busy on itunes this weekend. Thanks, man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hell, ya live and learn. I thought Sleater-Kinney was a law firm in The Natti. I'll give 'em a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think I may be one of the few here that has ran across SK in my travels.
    I have seen SK live 4 times. I will say that they are a good band. But they were not one of those bands that just blew me away. I was not seeking out sk in my travels. They found me. They were the opening act for a more well known band. I saw them twice in a two day run. Then twice more in another 2 day run.
    Maybe they come off better on recordings then they do live. I don't know. I never had the urge to check it out any further. I will give props to there drummer. The girl can play the skins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree on the drummer.. i listened to them a few times in college, and saw them live when i went to the first vegoose festival a couple years ago in vegas.. we walked over and checked em out for most of their set and i thought it was great.. i agree with the above comment about it being "ok" but they had some serious energy and didn't look half bad either!

    i'll be sure to pick up some more stuff though.. gracias

    ez

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a great drummer...As much as I like them, I was undermoved when I saw them live, but I've only seen them once, in like 2002. They looked somewhat bored.

    ReplyDelete

RHT Greatest American Rocker: Elvis Presley

RHT Greatest American Rocker: Elvis Presley

RHT Greatest Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

RHT Greatest Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

RHT Greatest Artist of the 80's: Michael Jackson

RHT Greatest Artist of the 80's: Michael Jackson

RHT Greatest Album of the 70's: Dark Side of the Moon

RHT Greatest Album of the 70's: Dark Side of the Moon

RHT Greatest Album of the 80's: Back in Black

RHT Greatest Album of the 80's: Back in Black

RHT Most Iconic Guitar Of All-Time

RHT Most Iconic Guitar Of All-Time
The Gibson Les Paul

RHT Greatest Album of the 60's: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Album of the 60's: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Artist of the 90's: Nirvana

RHT Greatest Artist of the 90's: Nirvana

RHT Greatest Rock Voice: Freddie Mercury

RHT Greatest Rock Voice: Freddie Mercury

RHT Most Beautiful Woman in Music: Carrie Underwood

RHT Most Beautiful Woman in Music: Carrie Underwood

RHT Greatest Album Cover: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Album Cover: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Metal Song: Iron Man

RHT Greatest Metal Song: Iron Man

RHT Greatest Song: Stairway to Heaven

RHT Greatest Song: Stairway to Heaven

Time flies when you're havin' fun . . .

R.I.P. Delaney

I lost my little Scottish Terrier on Monday, September 8th to cancer. Her name was Delaney and she was a warrior. She was a rescue, and in her lifetime she'd been to hell and back. At the risk of sounding like a total wimp, it hurts like a son-of-a-bitch. If you're a dog lover like myself and want to see what she was all about, you can check out this link:

http://delaneywarrior.blogspot.com/

Man, I miss that little dog.

By the way, this link stays up as long as RHT is in existence.