Search RHT!

Today In Rock History

April 25th . . . 1918 - Legendary jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald is born in Newport News, VA . . . 1923 - Blues guitarist Albert King is born . . . 1933 - Jerry Leiber is born in Baltimore. With Mike Stoller, he’s written witty rock hits like “Yakety Yak” and “Jailhouse Rock” . . . 1945 - Bjorn Ulvaeus of Abba is born in Gothenburg, Sweden . . . 1945 - Stu Cook (Creedence Clearwater Revival) is born this day . . . 1950 - Steve Ferrone, drummer with the Average White Band and Eric Clapton, is born in Brighton, England . . . 1956 - Elvis Presley reaches top of US chart with Heartbreak Hotel, his first No. 1 . . . 1961 - Elvis Presley makes his last stage appearance for nearly eight years at Bloch Arena in Hawaii . . . 1964 - The Beatles have an amazing 14 singles on the American chart . . . 1967 - The Beatles perform “All You Need Is Love” during a global satellite broadcast . . . 1974 - Jim Morrison’s widow, Pam, dies in Hollywood at the age of 27. Police suspect heroin use may have played a part in her death . . . 1977 - Elvis Presley makes his last-known recordings during a live concert at the Saginaw (Mich.) Civic Center . . . 1981 - Wings break up after Denny Laine leaves the band. Paul McCartney says he will carry on as a solo artist . . . 1987 - Crowded House had their biggest U.S. hit when “Don’t Dream It’s Over” peaked at #2; U2 replace Beastie Boys at top of US LP chart with The Joshua Tree . . . 1990 - The Fender Stratocaster on which Jimi Hendrix played “The Star-Spangled Banner” at Woodstock sells at a London auction for $295,000 . . . 1994 - The Eagles played the first of two shows where they recorded their ‘Hell Freezes Over’ album . . . 1994 - A judge sentences Beastie Boy Adam Horowitz to 200 hours’ community service after he beats up a TV cameraman during River Phoenix’s funeral . . . 1994 - A judge determines that Michael Bolton’s “Love Is a Wonderful Thing” sounds a little too similar to the Isley Brothers’ “Love Is a Wonderful Thing.” Ya think? . . . 1997 - Warren Haynes and Allen Woody quit the Allman Brothers Band to tend to their careers as Gov’t Mule . . . 1999 - Funk star Roger Troutman, 47, dies in a hospital in Dayton, Ohio, after being shot several times . . . 2000 - Eric Clapton is reunited on a TV stage in London with his former Derek & the Dominos keyboard player Bobby Whitlock, for their first performance together in 29 years . . . 2002 - Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, the effervescent, sometimes volatile rapping member of the Grammy-winning R&B trio TLC, is killed in a car crash in Honduras . . . 2003 - The late jazz great Nina Simone is laid to rest in Carry-Le-Rouet, France . . . 2004 - Piano man Billy Joel drives his car into a house in Long Island. Nobody is seriously injured. It’s his third car crash in two years . . . 2007 - American singer Bobby “Boris” Pickett died of leukemia at the age of 69. He scored the Halloween anthem ‘The Monster Mash’ in 1962 . . .

Just in time for the Beavis & Butthead revival!! Woo-hoo!

A sneak peek at My Morning Jacket's new album....

I think I got a contact buzz just watching this....

RHT Pic 'o' the Week

RHT Pic 'o' the Week
Prosecution evidence leaked from the Barry Bonds trial

Randon Non-Rock Notes. Rock Notes, get it? I'm awesome.

Car wrecks! Woohoo!

Here's a baby rabbit eating a flower.

Best commercial on TV right now. You dang woodchucks!!

Quite simply, the greatest redneck car ramp jump ever. Period.

Slippery slide accidents are always money, aren't they?

Let's revisit this famous soccer bitch.

Yo. My man. Seriously, this is not the best way to get free ice cream.

Good boy.

I want this lamb! Oh, and this lamb!

Hey lady, watch where you're goin'.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Actually, I'm Not Tired Of Silly Love Songs. But Thanks For Asking.


Admitting that you like Paul McCartney around most people I know is almost like admitting that you love to hit small, cute puppies. In front of small, cute children. Small, cute children that you push to the ground after you're done with the puppy. I will say this, Paul is my least favorite Beatle. I even like Ringo more than Paul when it comes to choosing one of the Fabs. George Harrison is my pick, by far. I think I would be most like him if I were in a band. Kind of the "other guy" that has loads of talent, but is content with slowly working his way up. Not that I'm patting myself on the back or anything. I can't relate to Beatle Paul. I just can't. After Revolver, it's hard for me to take his stuff seriously. I listen, and I'm hearing John and George going in one, more serious direction, and Paul is still writing this silly stuff.


But, that's Beatle Paul. If we're talking Post-Beatles...I'll take Paul over any of the others any day of the week. How can this happen, you ask? George had a NICE solo career. Real nice. So nice in fact, that "Let It Down" might be one of my favorite songs of all time...but it wasn't enough, not for me. And John...I'll say it...didn't his solo stuff seem a bit forced? maybe even a bit phony? Keep in mind, this is coming from a relative kid, born in 1983 (the best album to come out that year? for my money, it's gotta be Cyndi Lauper's first one. I'm not ashamed.), but when I listen to Imagine (the entire album, not just the song)...I don't buy it. I only half buy Plastic Ono Band. The best song on either of those albums is "How Do You Sleep", and I get the feel that it's just John coming down on Paul for doing the same things that he himself was doing. And the less said about Two Virgins, the better. I'm not saying that Plastic Ono or Imagine are totally "bad" albums...I just don't buy them. I do buy Double Fantasy, and to me, THAT'S one of the best post-Fab album for any of them. I know there's a Beatle expert or two roaming RHT, so I'm treading carefully, BUT....Paul had to have the best solo career, and it was because he owned up to what he was.


I was talking with someone like 2 weeks ago, and they were ripping into Band On The Run, because it was "too poppy". Well, you don't say. An ex-Beatle making *gasp*...Pop music?!?!? I always feel like people rip Paul's solo stuff because there might still be some lingering bitterness that he left the Beatles in the first place. I'll give the critics the first album. I wasn't into McCartney's first solo effort, but Ram? yeah, it was overproduced...but what do you expect? I love Paul's solo stuff because he owned what he was, and he still does own what he is. He's a guy that would rather change the world with poppy love songs that with scathing social commentary. Sure, he has his causes (I just saw a disturbing photo of him holding an animal. I don't know what the animal was, but it has haunted my dreams.), but he is what he is. He's a pop genius who writes silly, catchy tunes. People often ask if Paul is a true artist, or just a clever craftsman...I'll take the latter, BUT, he may be the MOST clever craftsman music has ever seen, and that may be better than a true artist who is just a true artist. True art still needs crafting, am I right?


I've said it before, but Band On The Run blows any other Post-Beatle effort out of the water, for me at least. The intro/title track alone is enough to make that statement. It's again, overproduced and overblown, but if you'd followed his career to that point, you knew what you were getting into when you put it in your stereo. Every song on the album is crafted (there's that word again...) perfectly, and it totally fits (It also has the best album cover, but that's an argument for another time). And in his response to Lennon ("Let Me Roll It"), he takes the high road in a way that only he could do. Sure, Paul has had some faults along the way in his solo career, depending on who you ask, I wasn't a fan of Run Devil Run, or a few others...but he took a lot of chances, so he's going to have some misses here and there. His misses were still less embarrassing than John's misses (Walls And Bridges? ewww...), and he came out (when they were both alive, to be fair) looking better, because he was easier to stomach. That's what this comes down to. As a foursome, he was the easiest Beatle to stomach, and that was irritating because he was just to sweet, or just too silly, or just too much like your dad. But apart from that, those same qualities made him endearing to me, at least....and the fact that John and George kind of lacked that made them a little less all inclusive.


So, yes. I love Paul McCartney's solo career. More than John's. More than George's. And Ringo? Well...he tried, didn't he?

7 comments:

  1. Can't argue with that - well stated, Hanif. In hindsight, it turns out John needed the Beatles more than the other 3 did, IMO. Just when John figured out what he'd been looking for he was taken away from us. I think he'd still be making amazing music, but we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - G. Harrison stayed true to the music the most. I think the "Beatles" stardom left some of the others thinking that because they were Beatles - they could do no wrong. Well, they could. and did. Maybe it was all Yoko's fault that John didn't explode with a solo career - but then again, how could any of these guys topped anything they did with the Beatles. I mean, has anyone (Filo Beddoe excluded) topped the Beatles since?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the double post. Must be the salt water in my margarita. Ahhh. the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hanif is on a roll, no? Wow. As for McCartney, I could write a book on this subject. It is a common misconception that John was the original "Beatle with a social conscience". It was actually Paul who first beame interested in art and social issues, and he in turn enlightened John. Paul has always been completely comfortable in his own skin, never afraid to mix the "silly love songs" in with the rockers. His melodic voice, as opposed to John's angry rasp, sort of played into his poppy image. Plus, he was always the cute one which didn't help with the critics. Bottom line, in 100-years the name Paul McCartney will be mentioned alongside Beethoven, Presley, Dylan, and the like. No question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the by, don't discount Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph."

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep, yep. Ringo Iis the Beatle I'd most like to have a drink with. Very quick-witted individual, that Mr. Starkey...

    ReplyDelete

RHT Greatest American Rocker: Elvis Presley

RHT Greatest American Rocker: Elvis Presley

RHT Greatest Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

RHT Greatest Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

RHT Greatest Artist of the 80's: Michael Jackson

RHT Greatest Artist of the 80's: Michael Jackson

RHT Greatest Album of the 70's: Dark Side of the Moon

RHT Greatest Album of the 70's: Dark Side of the Moon

RHT Greatest Album of the 80's: Back in Black

RHT Greatest Album of the 80's: Back in Black

RHT Most Iconic Guitar Of All-Time

RHT Most Iconic Guitar Of All-Time
The Gibson Les Paul

RHT Greatest Album of the 60's: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Album of the 60's: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Artist of the 90's: Nirvana

RHT Greatest Artist of the 90's: Nirvana

RHT Greatest Rock Voice: Freddie Mercury

RHT Greatest Rock Voice: Freddie Mercury

RHT Most Beautiful Woman in Music: Carrie Underwood

RHT Most Beautiful Woman in Music: Carrie Underwood

RHT Greatest Album Cover: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Album Cover: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Metal Song: Iron Man

RHT Greatest Metal Song: Iron Man

RHT Greatest Song: Stairway to Heaven

RHT Greatest Song: Stairway to Heaven

Time flies when you're havin' fun . . .

R.I.P. Delaney

I lost my little Scottish Terrier on Monday, September 8th to cancer. Her name was Delaney and she was a warrior. She was a rescue, and in her lifetime she'd been to hell and back. At the risk of sounding like a total wimp, it hurts like a son-of-a-bitch. If you're a dog lover like myself and want to see what she was all about, you can check out this link:

http://delaneywarrior.blogspot.com/

Man, I miss that little dog.

By the way, this link stays up as long as RHT is in existence.