Search RHT!

Today In Rock History

April 25th . . . 1918 - Legendary jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald is born in Newport News, VA . . . 1923 - Blues guitarist Albert King is born . . . 1933 - Jerry Leiber is born in Baltimore. With Mike Stoller, he’s written witty rock hits like “Yakety Yak” and “Jailhouse Rock” . . . 1945 - Bjorn Ulvaeus of Abba is born in Gothenburg, Sweden . . . 1945 - Stu Cook (Creedence Clearwater Revival) is born this day . . . 1950 - Steve Ferrone, drummer with the Average White Band and Eric Clapton, is born in Brighton, England . . . 1956 - Elvis Presley reaches top of US chart with Heartbreak Hotel, his first No. 1 . . . 1961 - Elvis Presley makes his last stage appearance for nearly eight years at Bloch Arena in Hawaii . . . 1964 - The Beatles have an amazing 14 singles on the American chart . . . 1967 - The Beatles perform “All You Need Is Love” during a global satellite broadcast . . . 1974 - Jim Morrison’s widow, Pam, dies in Hollywood at the age of 27. Police suspect heroin use may have played a part in her death . . . 1977 - Elvis Presley makes his last-known recordings during a live concert at the Saginaw (Mich.) Civic Center . . . 1981 - Wings break up after Denny Laine leaves the band. Paul McCartney says he will carry on as a solo artist . . . 1987 - Crowded House had their biggest U.S. hit when “Don’t Dream It’s Over” peaked at #2; U2 replace Beastie Boys at top of US LP chart with The Joshua Tree . . . 1990 - The Fender Stratocaster on which Jimi Hendrix played “The Star-Spangled Banner” at Woodstock sells at a London auction for $295,000 . . . 1994 - The Eagles played the first of two shows where they recorded their ‘Hell Freezes Over’ album . . . 1994 - A judge sentences Beastie Boy Adam Horowitz to 200 hours’ community service after he beats up a TV cameraman during River Phoenix’s funeral . . . 1994 - A judge determines that Michael Bolton’s “Love Is a Wonderful Thing” sounds a little too similar to the Isley Brothers’ “Love Is a Wonderful Thing.” Ya think? . . . 1997 - Warren Haynes and Allen Woody quit the Allman Brothers Band to tend to their careers as Gov’t Mule . . . 1999 - Funk star Roger Troutman, 47, dies in a hospital in Dayton, Ohio, after being shot several times . . . 2000 - Eric Clapton is reunited on a TV stage in London with his former Derek & the Dominos keyboard player Bobby Whitlock, for their first performance together in 29 years . . . 2002 - Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, the effervescent, sometimes volatile rapping member of the Grammy-winning R&B trio TLC, is killed in a car crash in Honduras . . . 2003 - The late jazz great Nina Simone is laid to rest in Carry-Le-Rouet, France . . . 2004 - Piano man Billy Joel drives his car into a house in Long Island. Nobody is seriously injured. It’s his third car crash in two years . . . 2007 - American singer Bobby “Boris” Pickett died of leukemia at the age of 69. He scored the Halloween anthem ‘The Monster Mash’ in 1962 . . .

Just in time for the Beavis & Butthead revival!! Woo-hoo!

A sneak peek at My Morning Jacket's new album....

I think I got a contact buzz just watching this....

RHT Pic 'o' the Week

RHT Pic 'o' the Week
Prosecution evidence leaked from the Barry Bonds trial

Randon Non-Rock Notes. Rock Notes, get it? I'm awesome.

Car wrecks! Woohoo!

Here's a baby rabbit eating a flower.

Best commercial on TV right now. You dang woodchucks!!

Quite simply, the greatest redneck car ramp jump ever. Period.

Slippery slide accidents are always money, aren't they?

Let's revisit this famous soccer bitch.

Yo. My man. Seriously, this is not the best way to get free ice cream.

Good boy.

I want this lamb! Oh, and this lamb!

Hey lady, watch where you're goin'.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Under The Table Vol. 1 - Who Is The Voice Of Your Generation?


Welcome, welcome to our first discussion here on RHT where the minds that matter meet up with the matter that minds, "Under The Table!" This is a liquid conversation, that preferably will take on the appearance of a Roundtable Meeting Of The Minds, but could no doubt evaporate into drunken name calling and food throwing. Irregardless of the outcome, we're gonna have fun with this so let's get started before the beer gets warm:

For those growing up in the 1960's, Bob Dylan has always been widely acknowledged as "the voice of his generation." Who would you consider "the voice of your generation," and why?


EZ -
for me, it is the lame answer of Kurt Cobain...by lame, I mean, it sounds "cliche'".. but i was young enough to follow the entire grunge movement (at least once it hit mainstream for the most part, which sounds paradoxical huh?- mainstream grunge)...I could identify with those bands, with their angst and lyrics...as I look back, I'm not really sure why we felt the way we did, but it felt damn good... the first time I broke my nose was in a mosh pit thrashing around to "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were great, and don't get me started on Pearl Jam and how Eddie Vedder brought a new bag of tricks to the table...but Kurt spelled it out right. For me, I'm terrible at remembering lyrics but I bet I can sit down right now and play everyone of those songs from memory...the music and feeling just defined me at that time in my life.

Another that comes to mind for me would be...a bit later, towards the end of high school and college, Dave Matthews was a voice for me... but I'll stick to Kurt. I remember when Nevermind was released. I was in 8th grade and I remember Jon Soards and I riding to the Dayton Mall with Kurt Cokonougher to get some school stuff. We went to the record store and I remember a wall of Nirvana cd's, with the naked baby...I thought that was wild..I had seen the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video on MTV and kind of dug it...I ended up buying a lizard and a big tank to take care of it and Soards and I split the cost on the cd...listened to it on the ride home and that was it...it was totally crazy sound and it became me.

Dean - I graduated from high school in '77, so I'll use the years 1972 to about 1981 as my formative ones. Wow, what a cultural wasteland that time period was. We were already pining for the 60's back then. My musical hero was (and is) David Bowie, and rock music would be lessened if he never existed, but he wouldn't qualify as the Voice of a generation in America.
Dark Side of the Moon was played more or less continuously during this ten years. Maybe it was the soundtrack to our generation, if not the Voice. Television became the thing to watch with a gathering of friends, but you had to turn it off in order to have a conversation.

... anyway, even though he was gigantic before 1972 I guess I'll pick Lou Reed as my choice for Voice. That was fun to type. His album "Rock and Roll Animal" set the standard for live albums, and still does based on pure explosive performance. His lyrics became more engaging for a wider audience, maybe because he wasn't shocking anymore, but he sure could describe the hard side of life. I felt like I had met real people with problems that put mine to shame when I listened to his songs. He's had an immeasurable influence on musicians of all genres for the last 40 years, including my favorite lyricist story: His first performance of his new album "New York" in 1988, done of course in NYC, consisted of Lou standing on stage, solo, reading each song in order from his own lyric sheets. No music or sound. The audience sat silently for the hour or so that it took, then rewarded him with a standing O as he left the stage and the concert hall. Rave reviews and all. Not bad.

DJ - I'm with EZ in that Kurt Cobain would be the easy choice. I was a sophomore in college when Nevermind came out, and I immediately became ashamed of my music collection at the time. I literally boxed up my Kiss & Motley Crue cassettes so no one would see them. I was already getting into Alice In Chains & Jane's Addiction, and Nirvana was the group that sealed my liberty from hair metal. I had a bad car accident the following summer also, and In Utero really resonated with me, especially "All Apologies." Kurt's death in 1994 also snapped me back into reality, showing me I hadn't grown up enough yet and I didn't know a damn thing about "real life."

All that being said, I was still a child of the 80's - the video age - and I feel compelled to systematically eliminate my candidates. We had images of Micheal Jackson & Madonna burned into our eyes. Bono really tried his hardest to BE the voice of our generation, but being an 80's kid I wanted to keep all my stuff and preferred not to give it to some starving kid in a 3rd world country. Springsteen released Born In the U.S.A., but that really was for the previous generation...then there was Tunnel Of Love. Some folks can argue with merit that Chuck D. from Public Enemy was the voice of my generation, and while I don't necessarily disagree, I'm from a small Mid-Western town of 5,000 & would be bullshitting you all if I told you I knew how Chuck D. felt. I understood, but could not relate. Therefore, if I add all that together: (MJ + Madonna) + The Boss - Chuck D = John Mellencamp. He's cool...but not that big of a fan. Sorry. Fail.

Which leaves me with only one other possibility for the voice of my generation. This person embraced the video media (reluctantly). He has an eye for social issues. He's small-town, working class. He's outspoken, yet in a very subtle way. He is: Michael Stipe. This exercise has shown me that the music of R.E.M. is the soundtrack of my life. They've experimented, sometimes not too successfully, yet they're loyal & true. There's a naked simplicity there, yet so complicated at the same time. Michael Stipe (with Mike Mills countering in the background) is indeed the voice of my generation.

SuperVesey - When I first saw this question I instantly flashed back to my high school years and tried to remember who really spoke to my generation. This is a difficult question from the start because I can't really say what we use to qualify the "voice of a generation." Are we talking about lyrical relevence and commentary on the times? Popularity based on radio play (I hope not). Or maybe even just influencial artists that helped form your "musical taste." I am kind of partial to the latter (and its a heck of a lot easier than narrowing it down to one!) so I'll share some of the artists that sunk a groove deep into my brain.

Being in high school in the early to mid '90's points directly to the grunge era. Kurt Cobain brought a new edge to music to say the least, and Vedder and company followed suit by helping usher in a totally new genre. I agree with DJ that the old hair band cassettes (Twisted Sister, Poison, Cinderella) suddenly seemed like the bubble gum classics of the 50's compared to the angst and raw energy of the grunge bands. But while I might like to maintain that this more serious brand of rock completely turned me away from mindless foot-tappers I would be lying if I did.

My generation was the one where MC Hammer was cool (if only ever so briefly). Hip-hop became the dominant force for MTV and guys like me kind of liked some of it. Sure Metallica and heavy metal was there to balance everything out but the variety became acceptable. I can remember when the music stores were pretty much divided into Rock and Country/Western. Genres (which may be a word born in my generation) sprang up that crossed lines (Run DMC/Aerosmith, Public Enemy/Anthrax) that opened the eyes of country bumpkins from Highland County to stuff our parents didn't even consider music. I mean, do you remember "Rock Me Amadeus"? Really, what was that? Song? Story? It was totally awesome is what it was.

I dunno, add it all up grunge, rock, hip-hop and alternative and I would have to say the voice of my generation was Hank Williams Jr. See that's just it, no voice can contain it. You want my voice? Fire up the old "We Are the World" video. That's my voice. Especially the Huey Lewis voice.

DJ - I'm so changing my answer to Falco too, SuperVesey. "Rock Me Amadeus" was the bomb. Why wasn't he in "We Are the World?" What? He's Austrian? So what...he and Taco ("Puttin' On The Ritz") would make a formidable tag team unlike the world has ever seen.

Shoe - Sorry I'm so late to the "table" here kids, but I've been busy over at that damn sports site I've been running. Anyway, being the old dude in the bunch my answer is going to take an obviously different route. For me it's a no-brainer - John Lennon was the voice for me. Yes, he was 16-years older than me but he still counts, right? The thing with Lennon was, he said as much outside of his songs as he did within his lyrics. I mean this literally. Lennon was truly saying things publicly that I only dreamed of saying to my parents and teachers. As I stated in a a blog on here a long time ago, it all started for me with "Nowhere Man." Simple yet deep (at least for this 10-year old kid) lyrics about individual apathy really struck a chord with me. It was kind of an early 60's "Comfortably Numb", at least in my mind. Not only that, on a much simpler level Lennon was the first person I ever read about who would be completely honest with an interviewer. The man was completely devoid of bullshit. Honorable Mention would have to go to the aforementioned Dylan, as well as Mr. Bruce Springsteen. I never grew up in Jersey, but there was a period in the mid-70's where I wish I had. One more thing, and I hate to beat a dead horse about who the best grunge bands were, but you Cobain fans have listened to Green River, Melvins, Sonic Youth and The Pixies, right? Right?

2 comments:

  1. Great conversation. I was kind of young in the 80's. By the 90's I was bummed out with music. SO when Alice in Chains Soundgarden Pearl Jam and Nirvana came out...it was the best thing to happen to music for me! I am looking forward to reading the rest of this conversation!

    And thanks for posting that performance of AIC. I agree...Jerry Cantrell is so underrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words. I imagine Layne nodding in approval every time I here that AIC song, giving a sideways stare to Mike Starr to get his shit straight.

    ReplyDelete

RHT Greatest American Rocker: Elvis Presley

RHT Greatest American Rocker: Elvis Presley

RHT Greatest Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

RHT Greatest Guitarist: Jimi Hendrix

RHT Greatest Artist of the 80's: Michael Jackson

RHT Greatest Artist of the 80's: Michael Jackson

RHT Greatest Album of the 70's: Dark Side of the Moon

RHT Greatest Album of the 70's: Dark Side of the Moon

RHT Greatest Album of the 80's: Back in Black

RHT Greatest Album of the 80's: Back in Black

RHT Most Iconic Guitar Of All-Time

RHT Most Iconic Guitar Of All-Time
The Gibson Les Paul

RHT Greatest Album of the 60's: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Album of the 60's: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Artist of the 90's: Nirvana

RHT Greatest Artist of the 90's: Nirvana

RHT Greatest Rock Voice: Freddie Mercury

RHT Greatest Rock Voice: Freddie Mercury

RHT Most Beautiful Woman in Music: Carrie Underwood

RHT Most Beautiful Woman in Music: Carrie Underwood

RHT Greatest Album Cover: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Album Cover: Abbey Road

RHT Greatest Metal Song: Iron Man

RHT Greatest Metal Song: Iron Man

RHT Greatest Song: Stairway to Heaven

RHT Greatest Song: Stairway to Heaven

Time flies when you're havin' fun . . .

R.I.P. Delaney

I lost my little Scottish Terrier on Monday, September 8th to cancer. Her name was Delaney and she was a warrior. She was a rescue, and in her lifetime she'd been to hell and back. At the risk of sounding like a total wimp, it hurts like a son-of-a-bitch. If you're a dog lover like myself and want to see what she was all about, you can check out this link:

http://delaneywarrior.blogspot.com/

Man, I miss that little dog.

By the way, this link stays up as long as RHT is in existence.